The springs on your garage door are what keep it open. They also maintain the coil in place, which is vital for smooth functioning. Unfortunately, the garage door spring can break as a result of frequent opening and closing. When this happens, replacing the spring will fix the problem. But is it safe to replace your garage door spring without professional help?
What types of garage door springs do you have?
Garage doors use two common types of springs: torsion springs or extension springs. Torsion springs are located directly above the door and provide upward pressure, while extension springs do not exert as much force to lift. Garage door extension springs are more common in overhead doors with light to medium weight. On the other hand, Garage doors that require heavy lifting (like those found in commercial or industrial settings) will need torsion springs instead.
How do I install the new overhead door spring?
Replacing your old garage door spring is a technical job that requires a lot of experience. Generally, the following steps will come in handy:
- Once the spring is out, it’s time to install a new one in its place. First of all, make sure there is enough space to lift the old spring without it getting in the way. Be sure to check if it is the correct size.
- When you are ready, lock the torsion bar into place and insert your new spring. Make sure the torsion springs are properly attached before releasing your grip on the bar so that gravity can take over and settle everything in its place!
- Lastly, make sure the door opening is perfectly balanced and that it opens and closes smoothly. If not, you may need to adjust the garage door spring tension accordingly.
What tools are required for garage door installation?
Tools need for replacing your door spring include the following:
- Socket wrench
- Wire cutters and wire strippers
- Pliers or vise grips (if needed)
Can I replace garage door springs on my own?
Replacing garage door torsion springs is not for everyone. The best option would be to find a garage door spring replacement company to do the job for you. If you’re still interested, keep in mind that it’s a difficult task to accomplish and should probably be left to professionals! Experienced DIY specialists may be able to handle a spring replacement job. However, they should proceed with extreme caution and care as garage door springs can be lethal when you make the slightest mistake.
When should I replace my overhead door spring?
Several unwanted symptoms on your garage door will tell you there’s something wrong with the springs and that it may be time to conduct a replacement. These symptoms include:
- The door opens, but when you try to close it back up with the remote or by hand, nothing happens. The garage door pops right open again after doing so.
- You hear a loud snapping sound every time you pull the cord for opening and closing your garage door. This may be an indication that the garage door torsion spring is broken.
- The garage door shakes and vibrates every time you try to open or close it. This may indicate that the extension springs are worn down, too short, or simply broken springs!
- The garage door is so much heavier than usual. This may mean that the extension springs are worn out and must be replaced right away to avoid further damage!
Why should I hire a garage door professional for spring replacement?
To avoid injury
Replacing a garage door spring without any prior experience can be extremely dangerous. Not only will you risk personal injury, but it may also damage your property or cause severe harm to others in the vicinity! Make sure this is something you can do before spending money on parts and trying out DIY projects.
To ensure proper installation
An overhead door spring is a crucial part of the whole system. If it’s not installed correctly, you will have to deal with all kinds of problems soon! A professional garage door company knows precisely how to install this type of product and can guarantee that everything goes well from start to finish without any trouble down the line.
To save money on parts and installation costs
Professional garage door companies have all the tools, equipment, and expertise you need to replace your old springs with new springs without hassle! This is simply part of the process and should always be done before installing a new garage door spring! You can also rest assured they will not charge extra for bringing their own materials or additional services such as removing the old part from the torsion bar.
To avoid downtime and inconvenience
If your garage door is broken because of a faulty spring installation, you will have to deal with all kinds of problems. It’ll make it impossible to drive into your garage or park your car inside. Furthermore, it will damage the door itself over time. This is why you should always contact a professional company to repair garage door springs!
Come to Us for All Garage Door Services!
Whether you are in the market for garage door installation in Meridian ID, inspection, repair, or maintenance, Legacy Garage Doors has a qualified team of technicians to handle all kinds of projects! Call us today for more information and get a free quote! We provide the very best services at a great price, and we’ll make sure your garage door is back to its old self before you know it.